Digicel Group is a total communications and entertainment provider with operations in 31 markets in the Caribbean, Central America and Asia Pacific.
After 18 years of operation, total investment to date stands at over US$5 billion worldwide. The company is renowned for delivering best value, best service and best network.
Digicel also runs a host of community-based initiatives across its markets and has set up Digicel Foundations in Haiti, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea and Trinidad and Tobago which focus on educational, cultural and social development programmes.
Visit www.digicelgroup.com for more information.
Job Title: Front-End Web Developer
Expected Starting Period: Second Quarter 2019
The Front-End Web Developer will be responsible for the development of the UI/UX design wireframes and actual code that will produce visual elements of the application. He/She should possess the ability to combine the art of design with that of programming.
He/She will be responsible for designing, developing, measuring and optimising applications to improve ease of use and create the best user experience by exploring many different approaches to solve end-users’ problems.
The successful applicant will also work with the Software Development team and bridge the gap between graphical design and technical implementation, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop new user-facing features
- Build reusable code and libraries for future use
- Ensure the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs
- Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability
- Ensure that all user input is validated before submitting to back-end
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Consider existing applications and evaluating their UX (user experience) effectiveness
- Consider the human-computer interaction (HCI) element of a design
- Utilise online tools, such as screen readers, to aid their research
- Run user testing of applications, software and websites
- Define interaction models, user task flows, and UI (user interface) specifications
- Communicate scenarios (hypothetical users), end-to-end experiences, interaction models, and screen designs to other people working on a product
- develop and maintain design wireframes (basic mock-ups of applications) and specifications
- Collaborate with Designers and Developers to create intuitive, user-friendly software
- First Degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering (computer systems major), Computer Science or equivalent
- At least 2 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience in software engineering and development and with the mobile telecommunications sector would be considered a valuable asset
- An acceptable combination of academic qualifications and work experience may be considered in lieu of minimum requirements
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Knowledge of HCI
- Basic understanding of server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS, SASS and SCSS
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates, and AJAX
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as as Gimp or Photoshop is a plus
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
- Good understanding of SEO principles and ensuring that application will adhere to them.
- Experience in mobile OS programming is considered a valuable asset – Android APIs
- Experience with Ericsson and/or other major telecommunication vendor APIs and environments is an asset e.g. SMPP, Prepaid Systems, HLR gateways, Sybase, Oracle, MySQL databases etc.